Kirix Support Forums

Import sources

Please let us know if you are encountering problems with the beta or have ideas for how it can be improved. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can try to repeat the problem. Thanks!

Import sources

Postby BarthaziAndras on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi,

First of all, I really like this applicationm very great work. My first words was OMG. :)

As table import is great, I may add support for links in tables - maybe the link data is not a visible, but and interesting information for the importer.

Just another source may be simple lists (ul>li, ol>li). As it seems just a one dimensional data at first time, adding link information can make it two dimensional. Of course with some string manipulation (after the import) you can divide this data into more columns. Like "John Smith (USA)" -> "John", "Smith", "USA".

Importing definition lists would be interesting, too.

It may be a bug: if there's no table at all on the page, the menu item about importing the table exists in the contextual menu.

Andras
BarthaziAndras

Re: Import sources

Postby Ken on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi Andras,

Glad you like what you see. Thanks for the feature requests. A few things:

1. Do you happen to have an example of a table with links to further data?

2. As for lists, that is a good idea. We're actually working on some stuff back in our labs to handle data that is not included in <table> tags, since there is a ton of usable data on the web that exists only in things like repeating <div> and <li> tags.

3. Good catch on the context menu, I'll file a bug report.
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby BarthaziAndras on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:46 pm

For example a table where the link would be useful data:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/at ... kings.html

Let's say I already have a database about famous people, and would like to add links about these people into my database.
BarthaziAndras

Postby Ken on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:18 pm

Gotcha,

One thing you can do is "link" this data together dynamically via a relationship. Unfortunately, there appears to be a Strata bug in handling the HTML import in the web page provided (I'll add this to the bug list). However, if the import was working, the steps would be:

1. Import the two tables.
2. Save them to the Kirix project.
3. Use the Relationship Manger to link together either based on the Name field
4. Pull in the "Points" field data from the "2007 Race" table into the "ATP 2007 table"

For an example of this, take a look at the screencast here: http://www.kirix.com/screencast.html (the third part is about relating historic stock data together and uses this same type of relationship).

Hopefully that's helpful,

Thanks,
ken
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby Ken on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:35 pm

After re-reading your post, you may be just wanting something a bit more straightforward -- such that the text ("Roger Federer") is actually data as well as a hyperlink.

This is something that would be great to have but haven't implemented yet. I'll add it to our features list. You can get this in some circumstances when a string in a table is actually a URL (like in an RSS feed)... but once the URL is "named" Strata doesn't handle this just yet.

Thanks,
ken

Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby BarthaziAndras on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:54 pm

Yes, your re-reading was the right, I would like to get the "href" value from Roger Federer's link, too, as an additional column of data. Maybe using the word hyperlink would be better in my message above.

This function is getting interesting, when only just some entries has links (on the page above some name's has no hyperlinks), and if some names' has more than one link. :)
BarthaziAndras

Return to Bug Reports & Suggestions