Kirix Support Forums

AUI vs IFM

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxAUI feedback here.

AUI vs IFM

Postby olduser on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi,

Firstly, gread job!

My application is currently developped using wxIFM 1.0.5 and I like it's tabs system and arrows for the frame positioning. I have tried to use AUI and it work perfectly in my app (5 minutes of code and work fine!).

But,
do you plan to add a system such as IFM (tab and arrows) (or like Visual C++ 2005) ?

Some placement can't be dones without arrows... And tabs is a comfort.
olduser

Postby Ben on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:18 am

Hi,

Yes, this feature is on our roadmap. This means that we do intend to implement it. However, we've just done a big AUI push for wx 2.8, so doing this feature is not on our immediate development plan.

All the best,
Ben
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby Huge on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:13 am

Hi,
I have submitted a patch to do the tabs like wxIFM - I have switched from wxIFM, and now I only miss the arrow docking hints. (and complex floating layouts - but I did not use those much anyhow)

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1629361&group_id=9863&atid=309863

This patch probably wont become official, but could help. Let me know if there are any issues with using this - I keen to see you you go.

Huge.
Huge

Postby jfrench on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:40 am

I don't miss the Visual Studio style dock hints at all. In fact I hate them. Current wxAUI is already quite a bit nicer then Visual Studio. Quit while you're ahead :)

James
jfrench

Postby olduser on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:07 am

Ok nice!

jfrench why you hate them ? Have you used visual 2005 ? I think not.
I think the best idea is to offer to the user the choice beetween the two modes.
olduser

Postby jfrench on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:21 am

I do use 2005. I hate they way that you have to drag directly over them to place a window. I prefer the docking hints as currently implemented in AUI where you can drag in that general area. It's not exactly complicated is it? If I want to dock on the bottom I drag to the bottom. I don't need a hint for that. I also find them a visual disturbance to an otherwise simple operation. They've never done anything for me other than piss me off for appearing.

Sorry, I've got years of pent up anger and aggression due to Visual Studio. Nothing personal :)

Sure, put it in as an option. I'll be turning it off.

James
jfrench

Postby olduser on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:20 pm

Bah it's your choice. Someone like this... someothers like that... But It will be appreciable to have the choice in AUI. A simple option for example for the user.
olduser

Postby jfrench on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:36 pm

I think that's the best solution :)
jfrench

Postby Ben on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:53 am

Hi there,

Not to fan the fire, but I don't like the VS arrows either. I find them difficult to use and frustrating for inexperienced (i.e. non-progammer type) computer users.

This heavily influenced the decision not to do the arrows by default, but rather a more traditional docking hint. The arrows are left over for another cycle.

All the best,
Ben
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Re: AUI vs IFM

Postby danieljones2006 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:56 am

wxAUI is something i went for and it has become quite better than the previous version
danieljones2006

Re: AUI vs IFM

Postby Ben on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Return to wxAUI Questions, Thoughts & Feedback