Kirix Support Forums

Linking error while building testapp

Please post any wxWebConnect patches or modifications you've created here. Thanks!

Linking error while building testapp

Postby adibarve on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 am

Hi,

I am compiling test app on Visual studio 2008.
I have successfully compiled wxMSW 2.8.10 in unicode mode on visual studio command prompt using makefile.
then I compiled wxWebconnect project in VS editor. I got webconnectud.lib size 3415kb.

Now am trying to compile test app.
In test app properties, under C++, include directories is set to "../wxMSW-2.8.10/include";"../wxMSW-2.8.10/lib/vc_dll/mswud" &
preprocessor is set to WIN32;_DEBUG;UNICODE;
Under linker..additional lib dir is set to "../wxMSW-2.8.10/lib/vc_dll";../webconnect/lib
additional deps is set to odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib comctl32.lib wsock32.lib rpcrt4.lib wxbase28ud.lib wxmsw28ud_core.lib wxmsw28ud_aui.lib wxjpegd.lib wxpngd.lib wxzlibd.lib webconnectud.lib

Now it gives me linking error,

unresolved external symbol "class wxPoint const wxDefaultPosition" (?wxDefaultPosition@@3VwxPoint@@B)
unresolved external symbol "wchar_t const * const wxMessageBoxCaptionStr" (?wxMessageBoxCaptionStr@@3QB_WB)
unresolved external symbol "wchar_t const * const wxEmptyString" (?wxEmptyString@@3PB_WB)
etc.

Please let me know how resolve this problem

Thanks,
sam
adibarve

Re: Linking error while building testapp

Postby Ben on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Hello,

You probably are specifying a wrong directory. First, get the latest version from our website. It was posted today. Then, unzip wxWidgets in the same directory as "webconnect" and "testapp". Compile wxWidgets, then attempt to compile the test app.

Best,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby wittend on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 pm

I've spent all afternoon trying to get testapp to build on Windows.

So it is necessary to do a complete wxWidgets build just to get the setup.h file so that this will build on Windows? I have not yet found any indication which compiler is required. I tried all the visual studio's up to 2008 before it stopped gagging on the .sln files, so I suspect that it must be the one required. But what *kind* of a build? This is one of the most frustrating aspects of wxWidgets. There are at least six options for the current MS compiler.

I much prefer to use MinGW, even though it is slow. But it appears that this doesn't work from the postings on this list. Is there anything else that I must do?

I am quite grateful for this package, it is something that is desperately needed. Building all the preliminaries taxes my good humor, though.

Thanks,

Dave
wittend

Postby Ben on Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:05 am

Hello,

First, you do need to compile wxWidgets entirely in order to accomplish your goals. To do so isn't so bad, but it takes a little bit of time to get used to how things are structured.

In VS, download wxWidgets 2.8.11 and unzip it. Next, open wxWidgets\build\msw\wx.sln. Make sure you are on Debug Unicode. Then, select every project in the project tree and click build.

At this point, wxWidgets and wxAUI should be built. If you have any further troubles with this aspect, I'd heartily recommend the wx-users mailing list or the wxWidgets Shadonet forums (wxforum.shadonet.com). They are very helpful there.

Very best,
Ben Williams
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby wittend on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:47 am

Ben,

Hearty thanks! A new day, a new compile, God is in heaven and all is right in the world (i.e. it works)!

I am extremely happy to see this. This has exactly the capabilities that I have desperately needed to build a series of replacement apps for a group of worthy NGO/Non profit organizations.

Thanks.

Dave
wittend

Return to wxWebConnect Patches & Modifications