Kirix Support Forums

Hyperlink / Image (open view)

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

Hyperlink / Image (open view)

Postby abryan01 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Is there a way to have a path and file name in a column in a table... so when clicking on it, it will open the document in the appropriate viewer. IE (pdf, tif, jpg, etc) acrobat, windows viewer, etc

Thanks
Adam
abryan01

Re: Hyperlink / Image (open view)

Postby Aaron on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Yes. If the text in a cell is a URL, you can open it by left-clicking or middle-clicking on it with the mouse. To see this, create a calculated field with "http://www.kirix.com" then click on one of the hyperlinks. If you want to open files on your network, just build up a string that references them as a URL, and you should be good to go.
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Postby abenitez77 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 am

I tried putting this into a text field and I get the error msg "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded".

http://usatl02eras40\Audit Strategy\ASTRATEGY\Microsoft Office Outlook - Memo Style.pdf

When I put this in the run command, it opens the pdf file:
\\usatl02eras40\Audit Strategy\ASTRATEGY\Microsoft Office Outlook - Memo Style.pdf
abenitez77

Postby Aaron on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:09 pm

You need to use URL syntax to specify the file path. To see the correct syntax to use, open the file you want to reference in a browser and note how the file is referenced in the URL bar. Follow that pattern for subsequent files. For example, a file called d:\sample\test.txt would be referenced: file:///D:/sample/test.txt
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Postby abenitez77 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:47 pm

ok, I got it to work. When I click on the field with the path, it opens the image in a separate tab.

I want to also be able to see the rows for my table and my image at the same time. Do I need to create a script that has a form with a picture field and all my records above that and when I scroll thru the records, it changes the picture according to the field that has the path to that image. How can this be done?
abenitez77

Postby Aaron on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:59 pm

I don't believe changing an image in response to cursor movement using a script can be done at this time because the API doesn't have hooks for this kind of event.

However, you can split the screen into a data and document view using View->Tabs->New Horizontal Group so you can see the data and the document at the same time. If you open new documents, just drag them into the document tab group.

BTW, you can open multiple images as background tabs by middle clicking on each link in the column, saving time.
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Postby abenitez77 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:32 pm

what types of images can i view? I was able to pull up jpg and pdf, but was not able to view tif or xps. What is the list of image types that kirix will pull up ?
abenitez77

Postby Aaron on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:26 pm

The browser engine is used to display images, so it can display any image currently supported by the browser. It's probably possible to install a plugin to view additional image types, but I haven't verified this.
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Return to Strata Help & Feedback