Kirix Support Forums

Non-Portable perspectives

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxAUI feedback here.

Non-Portable perspectives

Postby katana on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 am

I've been using perspectives as a template system. In other words, let's say you are working with a piston aircraft, it has a number of panes that are shown specific to its needs, sparkplugs or whatever. If you are working on a turbine aircraft it has a completely different set of panes relevant to that (no sparkplugs in one of those as an example).

The problem is, if you open the software on a different computer or even a different screen then all the "stock" perspectives are still laid out for the computer it was originally saved on - this can mean panes off the screen or everything jumbled up in a corner.

Although it would be a modification I would suggest that the values stored reflect a percentage of the screen size rather than direct pixel counts.

Another very useful thing would be to deal with the loading and saving as XML - since this would guarantee forward and backward compatibility.

I may end up just subclassing the wxAuiManager class to provide this functionality for which I could definitely provide patches but having input from the users/community would also be useful.
katana

Re: Non-Portable perspectives

Postby Ben on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:40 pm

What you are recommending is very reasonable. I'd be willing to look at any patches.

We tried to design wxAUI so that by subclassing you can usually achieve whatever behavior you want. Give this approach a try, it might work out well for you.

Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Return to wxAUI Questions, Thoughts & Feedback