Kirix Support Forums

wxAUI demo works in Debug, not in Release

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxAUI feedback here.

wxAUI demo works in Debug, not in Release

Postby KevinCain on Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:15 am

I've just built the wxAUI test application that comes with wxWidgets 2.7, using MS C++ 8.0 (2005), and Ryan Pusztai's wxPack project. I can run the program just fine as a debug build, but the release .exe (while it compiles and links without errors of any kind) consistently crashes when I excecute. I've tested it on three machines (two x32, and x64).

I should mention that I can compile & run other wxWidgets code, including wxAUI "from scratch", but the latest (and greatest) demo seems elusive.

Ryan Pusztai duplicated these results and suspected that the wxAUI perspectives code was the sticky wicket.

Has anyone seen these kinds of crashes with this demo, where debug works but not release? Again, I'm using the most recent wxAUI test application included in the examples folders of wxWidgets 2.7.

Here's the demo app I compiled for testing:

http://www.insightdigital.org/Ryan/wxAUI_MSC8.zip

Many thanks,

-Kevin
KevinCain

Postby Tedfs on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:51 am

While I'm not using wxPack, I built the sample project downloaded from this site in VS 2003 in Release and Debug. I opened the project in VS 2005, configured the include Directories for VS 2005 and built in Release just fine.

The one built with VS 2005 from the sample here works fine and does not crash. One thing I did notice was the file size of your build is 152kb while mine is 1.26MB. There are probably ways to make the output files smaller but I'm still quite new to wxWidgets in general.

Maybe the sample code from this site differs from that included in the 2.7 download? I haven't opened the sample code included with 2.7 yet ,I can't find it, but if it does not differ from the code at this site I don't see how it could be the wxAUI perspectives code.
Tedfs

Postby Ben on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi,

The sample app as downloadable from this website was compiled with wxWidgets 2.6.3 + VC6. This was to allow the maximum number of people possible to be able to run the application without installing other DLLs.

That said, I'm able to build the sample application with VC8 and wxWidgets 2.7.0. The CVS versions have also been working well for me.

Can you give me a backtrace dump you get when the program crashes? I might be able to help you further then.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Thanks

Postby KevinCain on Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:55 pm

Thanks for the kind replies, sorry for the long interval in my reply.

I would follow bwilliam's offer to help further with a trace, but this issue is not so crucial to ask for your time to assist me. I've been able to readily use wxAUI, which is the main point. ;-)

Thanks again,

-Kevin
KevinCain

Return to wxAUI Questions, Thoughts & Feedback