Kirix Support Forums

connection was refused

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

connection was refused

Postby sprezzaturon on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:19 am

Yesterday I installed Kirix. But when I started it up, I got a "connection was refused to kiris.com" error message. Since I'm behind a firewall, I made sure that the correct address and port was in the Internet setup in the options section.

In troubleshooting, I have found that if I select "automatically detect proxy settings" then [Apply] then "manually configure proxy setting" then [apply], I can key in an address (such as google.com) and not get the "connection was refused" error message. But I still get an error when starting Kirix for the first time.

I submitted a bug report yesterday but haven't heard back. So I'm posting here in case someone knows what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Ron
sprezzaturon

Re: connection was refused

Postby Dave on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Hello Ron,

This is really odd behavior. The proxy information is a straight pass-through to the Gecko web engine we're using (which is the same one as Firefox).

Are you still having problems connecting? If so, just for clarity, is it only when initially starting up Strata, or is the problem persistent throughout your usage of Strata? Also, could you try changing your startup homepage to something like "www.google.com" or "www.cnn.com" just to make sure it's not something server related.

I'll discuss this with some of the other developers and hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of this and have it fixed for the Beta 8 release.

All the best,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby sprezzaturon on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:04 am

Hello Dave,

I changed the home page to http://www.google.com and got the same "connection refused" error message as soono as Kirix launches. To get Kirix to work, I did the following:
1) went into 'tools' 'options' and changed from "manually configure proxy setting" to "automatically detect proxy settings", clicked [apply] then [ok]
2) verified that I still got the "connection refused" message when I clicked [home page] button
3) went back into 'tools' 'options' and changed from "automatically detect proxy settings" back to "manually configure proxy setting", clicked [apply] then [ok]
4) clicked [home page] button and was taken to google.com.

At this point, the "Kirix Home", "Community", "Feedback" links work without any "connection refused" as well. I was able to go to the NOAA weather site and open a CSV file into Kirix. (I just need to figure out how to mash the data onto a Google map next.)

I agree that it is very odd behavior. If it helps, my company's firewall has all ports blocked except for 80. In any case, let me know what I need to do to help you.

Thanks,
Ron
sprezzaturon

Postby sprezzaturon on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:07 am

Oh, by the way, I had "notify me when a reply is posted" checked but never received a notification. Is that part of the forum disable?
sprezzaturon

Postby sprezzaturon on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Dave,

I've discovered something that is hopefully related. With this forum window in the Kirix browser, there are three option in the upper right: 'downloads','account', 'store'. I can click on 'downloads' which takes me to your download page. But 'account' and 'store' both give "connection was refused when attempting to contact http://www.kirix.com".

Thought I'd pass that along,
Ron
sprezzaturon

Postby Ken on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 am

sprezzaturon wrote:Oh, by the way, I had "notify me when a reply is posted" checked but never received a notification. Is that part of the forum disable?

This is a really annoying bug in our forum. We tried to get a quick fix to this issue, but it was proving elusive. We've got a full forum upgrade planned in the next month or two and plan to sort it out then along with a few other nagging issues. Sorry about the inconvenience.

All the best,
ken
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby Dave on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:37 am

Ron,

Thanks for all the info -- the different behavior that is exhibited in these situations will definitely help us track down this problem.

In regard to the "notify by email" issue, you are correct -- this feature is not working on our forums as of yet. I've spoken with our system admin. and he's aware of the problem.

Thanks again for the bug report and stepping through the process of what was happening on your end.

All the best,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby sprezzaturon on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 am

Hi,

I just installed Beta 8. Unfortunately, it stills has the "connection refused" problem, which is solved by going in to options, internet, and selecting "automatically detect ...", then reselecting "manually configure ..." and then [ok].

Let me know what I can do to help,
Ron
sprezzaturon

Postby Dave on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi Ron,

We're still working on this issue. One thought our lead developer had was that it may be that the proxy settings aren't loading until after the initial load of the homepage. Could you try the following:

1) Load Kirix Strata (with whatever homepage you have)
2) Go to some other webpage (like http://www.google.com or http://www.cnn.com)
3) Type your homepage address in the URL bar and try to go back to your homepage.

This will help us ascertain if it is a problem where those proxy settings haven't been initialized before the initial load of the homepage when starting Kirix Strata.

Again, thanks for the help.

All the best,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby Dave on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:06 am

Ron,

I believe we have fixed this proxy settings bug. The fix will be included in our next beta release later this week.

All the best,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby sprezzaturon on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:33 am

Dave wrote:Hi Ron,
Could you try the following:

1) Load Kirix Strata (with whatever homepage you have)
2) Go to some other webpage (like http://www.google.com or http://www.cnn.com)
3) Type your homepage address in the URL bar and try to go back to your homepage.

Hello Dave,

I apologize for not replying sooner. I never received an email notification that you had posted a new message. Of course, being swamped by other projects didn't help matters either.

In going through all three steps (quoted above), I got the "connection refused" message at each step. I hope this is what you expected and look forward to your next beta release! If there is any thing that I can do further to help in the development of your excellent application, please let me know.

Thanks your help,
Ron
sprezzaturon

Postby Ken on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:28 am

Hi Ron,

Sorry about the email notification -- there is a problem with the forum where it isn't sending out emails. We're actually going to be upgrading the forum later next week, so hopefully this will be addressed then.

We just put out a beta yesterday evening -- so if you could download it, give it a whirl and let us know if it solved the issue, that would be really helpful.

Thanks!
ken
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby sprezzaturon on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:59 am

Hello Ken,

Beta 9 connects perfectly! :D Problem solved!

Thanks!
Ron
sprezzaturon

Postby Ken on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:41 am

Ah, great to hear. Thanks!
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby ctian25 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:19 pm

got a "connection was refused to kiris.com" error message also. how can this be?
ctian25

Return to Strata Help & Feedback