Kirix Support Forums

Bugs with Tooltips on Windows (Linux/GTK is OK)

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxAUI feedback here.

Bugs with Tooltips on Windows (Linux/GTK is OK)

Postby mdefreitas on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:01 pm

There seems to be a problem with tooltips on a toolbar that is managed with AUI on Windows.

When the toobar is added via "AddPane" in non-floating mode (docked) we can see the tooltip. When we pull the toolbar out and float it, the tooltips are gone. When we re-dock it, the tooltips come back.

If the toolbar was initially added via "AddPane" in floating mode, the tooltips are never seen.

The problem does not seem to appear in Linux/GTK.

You can see the problem in the aui sample program by adding tootips to the large vertical toolbar that is initially docked on the left (tb5). For example:

tb5->AddTool(101, wxT("Test"), wxArtProvider::GetBitmap(wxART_ERROR), _T("Tooltip1"));
tb5->AddSeparator();
tb5->AddTool(102, wxT("Test"), wxArtProvider::GetBitmap(wxART_QUESTION), _T("Tooltip2"));
tb5->AddTool(103, wxT("Test"), wxArtProvider::GetBitmap(wxART_INFORMATION), _T("Tooltip3"));
tb5->AddTool(103, wxT("Test"), wxArtProvider::GetBitmap(wxART_WARNING), _T("Tooltip4"));
tb5->AddTool(103, wxT("Test"), wxArtProvider::GetBitmap(wxART_MISSING_IMAGE), _T("Tooltip5"));

There is also another problem which I do not think is related to AUI. Note that the tooltips on Windows seem to get confused when tools have the same ID. For example, note that 3rd, 4th and 5th tool have the same ID. There is no tooltip shown for the 3rd and 4th tool and the tooltip for the 5th tool shows "Tooltip3" instead of "Tooltip5".

Again, in Linux the tooltips seem correctly aligned.

I am using wxWidgets version 2.8.8.
mdefreitas

Re: Bugs with Tooltips on Windows (Linux/GTK is OK)

Postby Ben on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:51 am

The problem with the duplicate IDs has been fixed in the latest wxWidgets tree. I'll have to take a look at the different problem. Could they be related?

All the best,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Re: Bugs with Tooltips on Windows (Linux/GTK is OK)

Postby mdefreitas on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:43 am

I'm not sure if it's related, but to give you more info... I am using Windows XP and compiling with MSYS/MINGW32 with gcc 3.4.2. Apparently Vadim does not see th eproblem when using MSVC... see:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sof ... ad8?hl=en#
mdefreitas

Return to wxAUI Questions, Thoughts & Feedback