Kirix Support Forums

Impacts due to embedding bindings support being discontinued

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxWebConnect feedback here.

Impacts due to embedding bindings support being discontinued

Postby sdenning on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:09 am

I'm still trying to understand the posting by the mozilla embedding owner - 'The future of binary embedding' at:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!activ ... discussion

Does this affect capability that wxWebConnect relies upon?

Thanks,
Susan
sdenning

Re: Impacts due to embedding bindings support being discontinued

Postby jonmmorgan on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:59 am

I've been pondering this too for some months. However, my understanding of the email thread is that at present no important interfaces will be removed. Since wxWebConnect uses its own custom "glue" library to connect with XPCOM, it shouldn't be affected (possibly more of a concern is the move away from stable interfaces full stop, though I doubt Mozilla will change interfaces just because they can). Also, the shift to multi-process rendering could result in fundamental changes which make embedding very difficult. We won't know until it happens.

Realistically, wxWebConnect does not yet support Gecko 2 (the basis of Firefox 4), and so questions about whether it will be broken for FF 5 may be a bit premature. Gecko 2 support is something I'd like to add, and probably wouldn't be too hard, but for the moment at least Gecko 1.9.2 (the basis of FF 3.6) works and is good enough that it's not enough of a priority.
jonmmorgan

Return to wxWebConnect Questions, Thoughts & Feedback