Kirix Support Forums

Switching between web page and page source views

Please let us know if you are encountering problems with the beta or have ideas for how it can be improved. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can try to repeat the problem. Thanks!

Switching between web page and page source views

Postby GraemeA on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:04 pm

Came across this behaviour:

Viewing a web page
Switch to page source view (either from toolbar or right-click)
Right-click on the page source and select "View page source"
The syntax highlighting disappears and "View Web Page" from the toolbar does not switch views anymore

(OS: WinXP SP2)
GraemeA

Re: Switching between web page and page source views

Postby Ken on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:43 pm

Good catch, I'll add it to our bug list.

Thanks!

Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby einberg on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:31 am

Right clicking the source page or the web page now gives access to change the view, but it is not possible to change back to the web page from the toolbar drop down list.
einberg

Postby Ken on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:01 am

Sorry about that. Someone notified us of this yesterday, so we've actually already fixed the issue internally. We'll release a Beta 2.1 sooner rather than later to correct this issue.

Here is the workaround: you can switch views by right-clicking on the Source View and selecting "View Web Page" -- but obviously this should also be available through the toggle icon and the View menu as well.

Thanks!

EDIT: Beta 2.1 is up as of August 20, 2007 at 18:15 CST - http://www.kirix.com/download.html
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby hansfn on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:13 am

Info: Kirix 4.0 beta 4 on Win 2000 Pro.

I think I have found a new issue related to switching between source and web page view.

Coming from Firefox, I was used to "View source" opening a new window. I quickly realized that Kirix did not. Then I tried to get back to the web page view, by using the back button (but of course nothing happened). I tried to reload the page by visiting the location box and hitting enter. That made Kirix locked in "View source" mode. I later discovered that you can right click or use the view menu.

I think the easiest way to reproduce this is to visit "view-source:http://example.org". You'll not be able to switch back to web page view without manually removing "view-source:" from the URL/location.
hansfn

Postby Dave on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:48 am

Thanks for the bug report. This bug (or some variant of it) has certainly crept back into Kirix Strata Beta4.

hansfn wrote:I tried to get back to the web page view, by using the back button (but of course nothing happened). I tried to reload the page by visiting the location box and hitting enter. That made Kirix locked in "View source" mode. I later discovered that you can right click or use the view menu.

I was able to reproduce this bug, however, I was only able to do so when I specifically type in a URL like "view-source:www.example.com". When I type in a regular URL such as "http://www.example.com" or "www.example.com", I don't have any problems switching between the source and web view. Is this your experience as well?

Either way, we'll make sure the view switching problem when typing in "view-source" gets fixed for the next beta which should be out in the next couple of days.

hansfn wrote:Coming from Firefox, I was used to "View source" opening a new window.

You are correct that Firefox opens the source view in a new window, however, in keeping with the idea of different views of data in Kirix Strata, we felt it was more consistent to have the source view open in the same tab as the web view since other documents (tables, queries, etc.) switch views within the same tab.

That being said, once the bug is fixed, there will be three ways you can switch between the "Source Page" view and the "Web Page" view:

• Right-click on the source and select "View Web Page".
  • Go to the View Switcher (the double-window icon) in the main toolbar and click it or select "Web Page" from the dropdown area.
  • Manually add/remove "view-source:" from the URL and hit enter.
Thanks again for the bug report.

Dave.

Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby hansfn on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:30 am

When I type in a regular URL such as "http://www.example.com" or "www.example.com", I don't have any problems switching between the source and web view. Is this your experience as well?

Yes.

This is kind of a minor issue because very few people would start in source view (by entering view-source:...) However, as I tried to explain, this bug might bite you when you don't know how to get back from source view to web page view, and click the location field and hit enter to reload the web page.

Hans

PS! Thx for the quick reply. I would have replied earlier, but I didn't get a notification from the forum (software) even if I'm watching this thread. (I checked my profile again, I'm in deed watching this thread.) I can't be 110% sure that it's not our college's spam filter that is blocking the notifications, but I would appreciate it if you could investigate it.
hansfn

Postby Ken on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:05 am

Hi Hans,

Regarding the forum "Subscribe Topic", it seems something is broken on our end. I'll have one of our guys look into it. Thanks for the report, it is appreciated!
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Return to Bug Reports & Suggestions