Kirix Support Forums

Creating wxWC controls dynamically - performance

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxWebConnect feedback here.

Creating wxWC controls dynamically - performance

Postby jdx on Fri May 20, 2011 3:53 am

We are looking at a kind of popup window like a kind of in-line help, conceptually styled like a speech bubble and shown next to a button or whatever, used for tutorials and so on.

We're thinking this could use a wxwC control so full HTML can be used including videos. Since a wxWC control is running lots of Mozilla stuff in the background though, I wondered if this would work well - or if there would be a visible delay. If so, is it sensible to effectively 'cache' a wxWC control and re-house it in whatever wx dialog/control needs it?

Does each wxWC control have its own instance of XULRunner?
jdx

Re: Creating wxWC controls dynamically - performance

Postby jonmmorgan on Sat May 21, 2011 9:11 am

There is one instance of XULRunner for the entire app. I know that in our app we probably start with at least a dozen wxWC controls, and there are some popup windows as you describe that create a new wxWC control. These can start up in under a second, including all the work of generating the HTML to display in the window, and have negligible effect on memory usage. [However, they are not using videos - I have no idea whether this would make a difference, particularly if the videos were playing using a plugin like Flash].

In short - definitely test it with your case, but all my experience suggests that it's quite doable. You might find caching a control to start up slightly faster, though - don't really know.
jonmmorgan

Return to wxWebConnect Questions, Thoughts & Feedback