Kirix Support Forums

Refreshed saved tables?

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

Refreshed saved tables?

Postby mksql on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:59 pm

If a table is imported from a web page (as in the Yahoo Finance example in the webcast), it is stored as static data correct?

Is there a process for creating "refreshable" datasets in a project? Going back to the webcast example, as the Historical Prices data changes each day, would it be necessary to re-import and relink the datasets. Or have I missed something in TFM ? ;)
mksql

Re: Refreshed saved tables?

Postby Ken on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:57 pm

What THM would you be referring to? ;) Documentation is forthcoming soon... in the meantime, these forums are the best place for help questions.

You ask an excellent question. First, yes, when you save a file from the web into your project, it acts as an import of that file -- meaning it is static. You can "bookmark" the table by "Add Bookmark" which is a link to that table. Unfortunately, this is currently a placeholder that does not refresh. For all intents and purposes, at the moment, it is considered static as well.

However, we definitely plan on tackling this area to make these data sets "refreshable". The applications are pretty wide-ranging and we're really looking forward to getting this functionality in.

At this point, the best you can do is create a script that will do the work for you each time you want to refresh. We'll have API documentation on scripting available hopefully by the end of this week.

All the best,
ken
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby therenix on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:40 pm

Ken --

Any news on the scripting API? Our company is very interested in creating refreshable tables /reports from HTML content.

Thanks!
therenix

Postby therenix on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:47 pm

Sorry Ken!

I just noticed that my beta version 1.2 needed updating to get the scripting capabilities.

Thanks,
therenix

Postby Ken on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:38 pm

No problem at all -- also be on the lookout for beta 4, which has a ton of bug fixes in it... we're gonna try to have that out by the end of the week. If you get the feed for our blog, you can also keep up to date with the latest releases.

We still need to get everyone a lot more documentation, but here are some places to start:

http://www.kirix.com/docs/index.html

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=529

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=545

If you run into any troubles with the scripting (even just how to get moving), please let us know and we'll be happy to help. Also, as you can, feel free to share any of your discoveries. :)

All the best,
ken

Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby josejperez1964 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:35 am

Ken,

It would be great to have this functionality since I am looking at financial data for a company for a my finance graduate course group project from several financial sites. I'll try some scripting to achieve this until "refreshing" of data is implemented. In the meantime I'll look at your current documentation.

Ken wrote:What THM would you be referring to? ;) Documentation is forthcoming soon... in the meantime, these forums are the best place for help questions.

You ask an excellent question. First, yes, when you save a file from the web into your project, it acts as an import of that file -- meaning it is static. You can "bookmark" the table by "Add Bookmark" which is a link to that table. Unfortunately, this is currently a placeholder that does not refresh. For all intents and purposes, at the moment, it is considered static as well.

However, we definitely plan on tackling this area to make these data sets "refreshable". The applications are pretty wide-ranging and we're really looking forward to getting this functionality in.

At this point, the best you can do is create a script that will do the work for you each time you want to refresh. We'll have API documentation on scripting available hopefully by the end of this week.

All the best,
ken
JJP
josejperez1964

Postby Ken on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Hi there,

The "refreshable" links functionality is not in the current version, but we are working on it (along with adding a link/bookmark toolbar). Hopefully we'll see some of these things available soon.

If you need any help with scripting to refresh stuff, please just let us know and we'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks!
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby Ken on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note that we've done our first implementation of "refreshable" tables that we're calling "Data Links" or "Data Bookmarks" -- more information here:

http://www.kirix.com/blog/2007/11/21/ki ... bookmarks/
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Return to Strata Help & Feedback