Kirix Support Forums

Adding a project (linux version using a virtual machine)

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

Adding a project (linux version using a virtual machine)

Postby woodb on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:23 am

I'm running Ubuntu (9.10) inside a virtual machine (vmware player) with Windows XP has the host OS. We have a strata project that is on a network drive. I can mount the share inside ubuntu just fine, but if I try to add the project, the project viewer is unable to see the mounted drive. Any Ideas on how to add this project would be appreciated. This is low priority, I can use kirix on the Windows host just fine (I just prefer linux whenever I can).
woodb

Re: Adding a project (linux version using a virtual machine)

Postby Ben on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello,

I'm assuming that you are mounting an SMB volume in Linux using smbmount, and then attempting to use this mount from your VM.

Would it be possible to directly mount the remote volume inside of the VM, thus reducing one level of abstraction?

Thanks for any info.

Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby woodb on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi Ben,

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Here's a better description of what I'm doing. I have windows XP on my computer. I added VMware and put linux (Ubuntu) inside of it, then installed the linux version of strata. My project resides on a network drive. I probably am connecting with an smbmount, but I issued no such command. Inside Ubuntu I went to Places; then selected "Connect to Server" from the pulldown list. I chose Windows Share and entered the IP of the server and then name of the share. Ubuntu now sees the files on the drive, but Strata doesn't. It seems it can only see physical folders when I'm trying to add a project inside of strata.

Would it be possible to directly mount the remote volume inside of the VM, thus reducing one level of abstraction?
If there is, I don't know how I would do that. I kind of thought that's what I was doing when I was connecting to server inside of Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Brian
woodb

Postby Ben on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Brian,

Ok, I have a much better picture of what you are doing. I don't see any reason that this shouldn't work. Can you verify that you have write rights to the Windows share volume from Ubuntu? Try to save a text file to the volume where you project is. If you can write to the folder, you should be fine.

All the best,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby woodb on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:42 pm

It works!!! The problem was me. When I mounted the drive, it showed up as an icon on my desktop. I could browse files and write to it. When I tried to add the project (by browse for an existing) , that mounted drive didn't show up(or I didn't know where it was). I found the full path of the folder I wanted on the drive by opening a terminal window and typing cd and then dragging the folder onto my terminal window. Ubuntu autoentered the full path. This revealed that the path was /home/myuserid/.gvfs/ptc on xxx.xx.xxx.xx (IP address of the mounted machine)/strata/ . I could then paste that into the location in the add project menu. Works great now.

Brian
woodb

Return to Strata Help & Feedback