Kirix Support Forums

ODBC creation

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

ODBC creation

Postby abenitez77 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:40 pm

In our environment (citrix), we cannot create odbc connections for our ms access apps, so we have to request the system admins create the odbc system files and then we can connect to the app within kirix. Is there a way to create a odbc connection to an ms access file within kirix where an odbc connection does not exists for ms access? If not, can it be done with a script...and if so...can you help? This is very inconvenient and not practical use of the app.

thanks,
Alex
abenitez77

Re: ODBC creation

Postby Ben on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm

You should be able to, because Strata uses DSN-less ODBC connections. So, whenever you open up an .mdb, in effect an ODBC connection is being made, but no DSN is being saved to the ODBC manager.

All the best,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby abenitez77 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Whenever I go to the create connections wizard and I select ODBC, it shows me a list of data sources...I cannot go and look for the ms access database and select that. If a data source does not exist, i cannot select my database file.
abenitez77

Postby Aaron on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi,

If you are simply trying to import data from an MS Access file, go to File->Import, then in the import panel, select the "File" category up on the top, then click on the "Browse" button and select the MS Access file you would like to import from. Click "Next" in the bottom of the panel and follow the rest of the steps to complete the process.

Best,
Aaron
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Postby abenitez77 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm

How about if I want to link to a table in a ms access database, can i do that? if so how?
abenitez77

Return to Strata Help & Feedback