Kirix Support Forums

Export to Oracle question

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

Export to Oracle question

Postby woodb on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 am

I've been able to connect to our Oracle DB and copy tables out and use them with other tables in our project on our shared drive. Now I'm wanting to take a table from my shared project and store it back in Oracle. I'm not having any luck getting that to work. I'm not sure if it's a strata issue or an Oracle issue. Before I contact my Oracle admin, I'm wanting to see if I'm missing something in Strata first.

In my Oracle connection I see three folders (Schemas, I believe). Each folder has several tables. I've only been working in the first folder (We'll call it FOLDER_ONE). Inside FOLDER_ONE I've only been working on table MISSING_PDFS. Using another application (Golden) I'm able to manipulate the MISSING_PDFS table all I want (should rule out permission issues). What I really want to do is delete all the rows in the table and then append my Strata table back into it (I've deleted the rows in the table using Golden) The table in Strata that I'm wanting to append into Oracle, started out as a copy from the connected Oracle DB, so it has all the same field names.

When I export to Oracle I enter the connection information. It asks for that table that I want to export. Here's where I have the problem. I'm not sure how to tell it to put the table in FOLDER_ONE in the destination field of the export form. If I put FOLDER_ONE.MISSING_PDFS (I've tried "/" instead of ".") I get invalid file name. If I leave off the folder name (which I'm pretty sure I need to tell it that somehow) and only have MISSING_PDFS for the destination it acts like it's going to go, but then gives the explaination point inside a yellow triangle saying 0% completed.

Any help would be appreciated,
Brian
woodb

Re: Export to Oracle question

Postby Aaron on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Brian,

Let's try exporting the data to Oracle by creating a direct connection to the database in the project. This will add the Oracle database to your project as a linked folder and allow you to import and export data from or to your Oracle database simply by dragging the tables in the project panel, as well as view and, to some extent, manipulate the data directly in Oracle.

To create a connection to Oracle in the project:

1. In the File menu, select "Create Connection..."
2. In the Create Connection Panel, select Oracle
3. On the Oracle connection page, fill out the server, database, username, and password
4. Press "Connect"

Once you've connected to Oracle, you should see your Oracle database in the project panel, and you should be able to view the data in the tables simply by double-clicking on them. In addition, you should be able to import/export data from or to this Oracle database by either 1) dragging tables in the project panel into or out of the linked Oracle database folder, or 2) using the normal project "Save As" and importing tables by saving them from that linked folder to another folder in the project or exporting tables by saving them from a non-linked folder in the project to that linked folder.

Best,
Aaron
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Postby woodb on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks for the reply Aaron. I have a connected orcal DB that I can double click and open the tables. I can drag them out, but I've never been able to drag a table from my project into oracle. I will have to check with our Oracle Admin to see if I have proper permissions to create new tables. Every time I drag a table from my project into the linked Oracle connection, I get a yellow triangle and exclaimation saying "Could not create output table". At least I know that Strata should be able to do this and that it's probably a permissions issue with Oracle.

Thanks,
Brian
woodb

Postby Aaron on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:11 pm

Yes, it sounds like an issue with permissions. After checking this, let me know if you still have problems.
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Return to Strata Help & Feedback