Kirix Support Forums

Direct Support for html Files and Strata as a Firefox Extens

Please let us know if you are encountering problems with the beta or have ideas for how it can be improved. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can try to repeat the problem. Thanks!

Direct Support for html Files and Strata as a Firefox Extens

Postby warrenweiss on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:49 pm

I occasionally export data to html files with tables that won't necessarily be served via a webserver. Strata doesn't seem to support html files directly (if it does, it's not immediately obvious to me). Such a feature would be a great benefit.

It's support for (simple) tables in web pages, csv files. and tab-delimited files is outstanding, as well as Oracle databases and ODBC data sources.

Echoing at least one other post that I found, packaging Stata as a Firefox extension would address the support for html files as well as simplifying the cross-platform issue.
warrenweiss

Re: Direct Support for html Files and Strata as a Firefox Extens

Postby Dave on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:32 am

Hello,

Thanks for the bug report. Strata does indeed support HTML files. However, we looked into it and it appears that in the current beta it only supports the .html file extension (not .htm, etc.). Support for the .htm file extension will be in Beta 6.

If you have a file with a .html file extension, just go to File --> Open and select the HTML file to open and it should work just fine (since we're using Gecko as the rendering engine).

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby Ken on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:37 am

warrenweiss wrote:Echoing at least one other post that I found, packaging Stata as a Firefox extension would address the support for html files as well as simplifying the cross-platform issue.

This is a good idea and we are definitely looking at ways that we might be able to add some of Strata's functionality via a Firefox extension. However, given the breadth of what Strata does as far as data handling and connectivity, we think it makes a lot of sense as its own application too -- particularly for people who work with data on a regular basis.
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby warrenweiss on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:56 pm

Dave wrote:Thanks for the bug report. Strata does indeed support HTML files. However, we looked into it and it appears that in the current beta it only supports the .html file extension (not .htm, etc.). Support for the .htm file extension will be in Beta 6.

If you have a file with a .html file extension, just go to File --> Open and select the HTML file to open and it should work just fine (since we're using Gecko as the rendering engine).

OK, it seems to work, now. I don't know what I was doing wrong before, but I blame operator error, anyway.

Thank you.
warrenweiss

Postby Dave on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

No problem. Glad it's working for you.

All the best,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Return to Bug Reports & Suggestions