Kirix Support Forums

Sort issues with Child file

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

Sort issues with Child file

Postby lancelot on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:19 pm

I have a parent / child table relationship displayed with a link based on Vendor / Item (The Parent is a subset of the child file). The parent is sorted by Vendor / Item / Date - the child should reflect the same sort and does on Vendor / Item but the date field is not sorted. I have no consistent date order in the child file. The goal is to be able to review a "price history" in the child file to confirm a price error identified in the parent. I have pre-sorted the child file for the required sort and that does not hold once the tables are linked either. The parent table also has an inserted group break.

Thanks,

Lance
lancelot

Re: Sort issues with Child file

Postby Aaron on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Lance,

What you want to do is perfectly reasonable, but right now, the default sort on the child table only reflects the sort used to establish the relationship, which in this case is Vendor and Item. Unfortunately, this means you have to sort the child table each time you move rows in the parent if you want to sort on date.

Originally, this behavior was by design to prevent sort jobs from running and potentially bogging down the system each time the cursor moved in the parent. But with more modern computers, it should be possible to allow the child records to be sorted in a more specific manner than the key used to set up the relationship, and we've been considering implementing this feature.

Best,
Aaron
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Return to Strata Help & Feedback