Kirix Support Forums

Kirix and MYSQL

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

Kirix and MYSQL

Postby josejperez1964 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:03 am

I just recently installed the Windows and Linux versions of Kirix Strata Web Browser to test connections with MySQL databases. Setting up the connections were painless. So far I have used to it to see the tables and the data in them. Next I plan to test some queries to see how they work out for both platforms. Additionally, I have already told my instructor for my Business Systems Development course about Kirix so that he can test it out as well (he had not heard of it until now).
JJP
josejperez1964

Re: Kirix and MYSQL

Postby Dave on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:00 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback -- we're glad to hear that setting up connections was painless for you. Please let us know if you run into any issues creating queries on either platform. Thanks for your work in testing this area of Strata.

All the best,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby trashofmasters on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi everyone,
I have just installed strata and it seems to fit almost perfectly for my needs :P
I'm really enjoying it, but it seems I'm having troubles with the queries, they have a "/" just before the table name in every JOIN statement.
Can you explain what's wrong?
Perhaps I did something that I couldn't do or is it a desidereed behavior?

Thanks in advance
trashofmasters

Postby Ben on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:01 am

Hello,

Thanks for your question.

Kirix Strata uses a hierarchical database filesystem. This allows the software to have a unified namespace which crosses database boundaries, which allows users to construct a single data 'world' with tables stored on many different database potentially of many different types.

The slash that you discovered at the beginning is there because it signifies the beginning of a table path.

That said, we've just modified our code to make it a little friendlier: we now only put the slash at the beginning of a table path if absolutely necessary. This means, if your table is "/mysubfolder/mytable", then the slash will be there, but if your table is "/mytable" it will come across in the SQL statement as "SELECT * FROM mytable". The same rule applies to join inputs.

If tables are in the database root, both specifying and omitting a slash are equally valid. Thus both "SELECT * FROM mytable" and "SELECT * FROM /mytable" are equivalent.

Thanks much for the tip!

Best,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Return to Strata Help & Feedback