Kirix Support Forums

Blank webConnect control

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxWebConnect feedback here.

Blank webConnect control

Postby de_scott on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Hello,
I have just built the test app with Visual Studio 2003. It builds, links and runs ok but the web control is blank\white. Even when I choose Help which just creates and displays a local html file.

When I choose home, the status bar displays "ready" but the cursor switches to the arrow\hour glass combo and does not revert to the normal arrow.

Is there some way to tell if the web control is simply not being displayed?

Thanks in advance.
de_scott

Re: Blank webConnect control

Postby Ben on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm assuming that your xulrunner library isn't loading properly. Which version are you using?

Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby de_scott on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:45 pm

I am not sure which version I have. Is there an easy way to tell. My xpcom.dll is dated 6/16/2009. I simply copied the xr folder from the binary example that seems to work fine.

After debugging into the library initialization code, I found that it enters this section:
Code: Select all
   if (m_is18)
    {
        // 24 May 2008 - a bug was discovered; if a web control is not created
        // in about 1 minute of the web engine being initialized, something goes
        // wrong with the message queue, and the web control will only update
        // when the mouse is moved over it-- strange.  I think there must be some
        // thread condition that waits until the first web control is created.
        // In any case, creating a web control here appears to solve the problem;
        // It's destroyed 10 seconds after creation.

wxWebFrame* f = new wxWebFrame(NULL, -1, wxT(""));
        f->SetShouldPreventAppExit(false);
        f->GetWebControl()->OpenURI(wxT("about:blank"));

DelayedWindowDestroy* d = new DelayedWindowDestroy(f, 10);
    }

What does this mean? Is there something I can do to fix it?
Thanks
de_scott

Postby Ben on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:16 am

That piece of code is run for xulrunner 1.8, and it needs to run in order to work properly. This particular problem doesn't exist in xulrunner 1.9.

I'm not sure that is your problem however. Are you still encountering your blank screen? Also (I know this sounds strange), when you encounter your blank screen, try moving your mouse in circles (about 20 times) over the blank window. Does the page load then?

Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby de_scott on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Hello,
The mouse circle trick did not have any effect. I downloaded the latest XR binary (1.9.x). It did not work and it also caused the app to crash repeatedly.

Please not that Kirix pre-built sample app runs fine with the XR 1.x.8 library on my machine. The only thing I can see that is different is that I am building the sample source with Visual Studio 2003 and I had to create my own .vcproj and .sln files. Are there some obscure build settings that I need to choose? Do you have a 2003 project file that I can use to build the sample app?

Thanks
de_scott

Postby de_scott on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Hi Ben,
Can you please reply to my last post. I would really love to be able to use the webConnect widget but I am sort of stumped. Thanks
de_scott

Postby EzPresso on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:16 am

Just wanted to add that we have experienced this issue too with either XULRunner 1.8.x or 1.9.x under Ubuntu Linux. This required us to completely redesign some parts of the code.
EzPresso

Postby Ben on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello,

There are no obscure settings-- it's a normal wxWidgets sample application. My recommendation is starting small, getting a test application of your own up and running. Copy the build settings over one by one. At this point, I can't provide you with VS2003 build files.

All the best,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Return to wxWebConnect Questions, Thoughts & Feedback