Kirix Support Forums

How to switch xulrunner back to work online

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxWebConnect feedback here.

How to switch xulrunner back to work online

Postby rbalean on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:04 am

I had a short interruption to internet service today and my webconnect apps stopped working even after connectivity was restored. In the test app I got the message:
"This document cannot be displayed while offline. To go online, uncheck Work Offline from the File menu."

I could needed to download a new copy of xulrunner and overwrite the old one that is now hardwired to run in offline mode.

Somewhere there must be a way to do this programmatically. Does anyone know how?

Regards,
Robin

(n.b. this was for the Linux version, not sure if the same thing happens in Windows)
Last edited by rbalean on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbalean

Re: How to switch xulrunner back to work online

Postby rbalean on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 am

I have a partial workaround. I found the following setting in xr/greprefs/all.js

Code: Select all
// should NetworkManager be authoritative for online/offline status?
pref("toolkit.networkmanager.disable", false);

If I edit this to
// should NetworkManager be authoritative for online/offline status?
pref("toolkit.networkmanager.disable", true);

then I can bring my dead offline version of xulrunner back to life. Note that this is set to false even in the running version so this is still not the definitive setting.

Also, there is a setting
pref("network.online",                      true); //online/offline

in the same file but this was already set to true so cannot have been causing the problem.

Hopefully this should prevent it from switching to offline mode if this happens again (though my app would still need a restart in order to read settings again when xulrunner is initialized).

I'd still prefer to find a way to do this programatically though.

Regards,
Robin
rbalean

Re: How to switch xulrunner back to work online

Postby Ben on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:30 pm

I do know that you can set this preference programatically. We also had to set some preferences and didn't want to edit all.js, so we simply set the NS preference programatically.
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Return to wxWebConnect Questions, Thoughts & Feedback