Kirix Support Forums

Visual Studio 2005 style docking

Please post any wxAUI patches or modifications you've created here. Thanks!

Visual Studio 2005 style docking

Postby mheanssgen on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Hey Everyone,

I've been working on enhancing the version of wxAUI included in wxWidgets-2.8.7 and have packaged up a small example of the new VS2005 style docking controls. The sample is based on Ben's 0.9.2 aui sample but modified to bring it up to date. The docking support is still new and hasn't been fully coded yet - tabbed docking is not supported yet and the docking interface needs to be "cleaned" up. Please let me know what you think of it and if you encounter any problems. I will submit the source changes once everything is working ok (should be in the very near future)

Regards,
Michael

You can grab the sample from here..
http://www.mediafire.com/?bc21tncwytz
mheanssgen

Re: Visual Studio 2005 style docking

Postby Dave on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Michael,

Thanks for your work on this! This has certainly been a feature that has been requested for some time now. After taking a quick look, it definitely looks like most of the functionality is there and I thought the responsiveness was great.

There was one bug I encountered, however I believe it is a general wxAUI bug since I encountered the same problem with the default docking mode -- if you dock two panes horizontally at the bottom of the frame and then attempt to dock a third pane either above/below the left pane only, the pane is only allowed to dock above/below both panes (spanning the two panes).

I'll chat with Ben about your work and see what his thoughts are, but I can't see any reason we wouldn't want to add this into the next release of wxAUI.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby ben007 on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:27 am

This is surely a great feature as docking in complex sets can be a bit confusing for the user. I've been playing with your sample for a while and it's working fine.
Maybe you could use bitmaps instead of grey squares so that it becomes even more intuitive...

Thanks for the work. I hope it will be added in the next release.

Ben007
ben007

Postby mheanssgen on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:02 am

ben007 wrote:This is surely a great feature as docking in complex sets can be a bit confusing for the user. I've been playing with your sample for a while and it's working fine.
Maybe you could use bitmaps instead of grey squares so that it becomes even more intuitive...

Thanks for the work. I hope it will be added in the next release.

Ben007

Thanks for the kind compliments.

The grey squares are only temporary until all the functionality has been implemented. I'm not sure what the best approach would be to implement the arrows. Maybe exposing settings in the dock art interface would be good?

Implementing the docking interface for notebooks is proving to be a bit more interesting as the current code implements notebook to notebook support as well as splitting the current view. Suggestions in this area would be appreciated.

As for the code, the current implementation hooks into the DoDrop method fairly cleanly. Changes are quite minimal and I don't mind providing the source at this time for your review.

Regards,
Michael
mheanssgen

Postby Ben on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:10 pm

This patch is huge. Thanks so much for doing this.

I'm gonna take a look at this patch as soon as I get a chance, and then I can imagine integrating this into wx 2.9/3.0

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby mheanssgen on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:50 am

Hey all, been very busy lately so I haven't had a chance to get this patch ready yet. I will get it to you asap.

Thanks,
Mike
mheanssgen

Postby ben007 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:36 am

Great ! We're waiting for it !!

Thanks for the work
Ben007
ben007

Postby mheanssgen on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:08 am

Hi all,

I wish I had the time to complete this patch but things are too busy at the moment. I have made available the changed files. All changes are marked with MikeH

You can grab the zip file, framemanager.zip. It includes the framemanager.h and framemanager.cpp files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0rbynzdnpdm

Hopefully someone can take this and run with it.

Regards,
Mike
mheanssgen

Postby Jeremie on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Could someone re-upload the framemanager.zip file please? The current link doesn't work. Thanks!
Jeremie

Postby Kerantino on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:55 am

At one point, we tried to do it as VS2005 but turned out not easy to do due to the limitation of Swing. We will probably look at it again sometimes in the future.

The blue area thing is already there in JIDE Docking. DockingManager.setOutlineMode(TRANSPARENT_OUTLINE_MODE).

Thanks
Kerantino

Postby asmcoder on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:25 am

i desperately need this feature (we are talking about tabbed panes...?). :)
All the content of this thread is gone, could someone please reupload, so we can all work a solution here? :wink:
asmcoder

Return to wxAUI Patches & Modifications