Kirix Support Forums

Cross browser linking

Please let us know if you are encountering problems with the beta or have ideas for how it can be improved. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can try to repeat the problem. Thanks!

Cross browser linking

Postby bspencer on Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:37 pm

This is a shot in the dark but, I currently use a site on our intranet that will only open in IE. Is there a way to get cross browser data into Strata other than by making a file from the data and then opening it in Strata? A global context menu for Export to Strata might be nice in cases like this.
bspencer

Re: Cross browser linking

Postby Aaron on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:39 pm

Strata can query data from the web with a raw HTTP request without relying on the browser, which is the basis of the RSS Reader example here: http://www.kirix.com/docs/RSS_Reader

Using an HTTP request, you can set a variety of parameters, including header information, user agent, login information, etc, so you should be able to at least access the data from the site. The trick, of course, is extracting the data itself from the text returned by the HTTP request. If the text is straight CSV or fixed length, you should be fine; if it's HTML, you'll have to do some parsing work manually - possible, but less than ideal.

Let me know if this is what you have in mind or if you are looking for a more interactive approach.
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Postby bspencer on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:04 pm

The http request would probably work in my case however I don't think that it would be suitable for the average user. I think that an addon that allowed the framing of IE within Strata might work as well, but I was thinking more along the lines of a context menu available at the OS level that allowed a user to export information from any data source to Strata simply by selecting the desired information then right clicking and choosing export.
bspencer

Postby Aaron on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:24 pm

bspencer wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of a context menu available at the OS level that allowed a user to export information from any data source to Strata simply by selecting the desired information then right clicking and choosing export.

So, you would have the ability not only to pull data when already in Strata, but to push it into Strata from other applications using some sort of right-click extension, enabling you to use other "tools of choice" but move into Strata when necessary. That *would* be nice.

Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Postby bspencer on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Exactly
bspencer

Return to Bug Reports & Suggestions