Kirix Support Forums

Closing pane windows, lack of event passed to float window

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxAUI feedback here.

Closing pane windows, lack of event passed to float window

Postby abligh on Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:54 pm

When a wxDialog is closed using the close button, a wxCommandEvent is generated simulating the cancel button being pressed. However, if the wxDialog is converted to a wxPanel and floated using wxAUI, then closing it destroys the wxPanel without the event handler seeming to be called at all (certainly there is no wxCommandEvent).

Is this the correct behaviour? (I appreciate that sending a wxCommandEvent might not be correct for all docked windows). If so, what is the best way to ensure the wxCommandEvent does get sent at least for the wxPanels that I have docked?

Alex
abligh

Postby Ben on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:03 am

wxAUI's events haven't really been filled out just yet. However, by intercepting the wxEVT_AUI_PANEBUTTON event, you should be able to receive notification about the close button being pressed. Please note this event will be sent to the frame window, not the pane window.

After receiving this event, you should be able to let the close proceed by "Skipping" the event, or prevent it by just processing the event. Naturally, since the event will be fired for every pane window, you'll have to check to make sure it's the one you want to receive notification for.

Hope this helps.

Ben

P.S In the future, we'll fill out the events much more thoroughly
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby abligh on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Ben,

bwilliams wrote:wxAUI's events haven't really been filled out just yet. However, by intercepting the wxEVT_AUI_PANEBUTTON event, you should be able to receive notification about the close button being pressed. Please note this

What's the clean way of doing this (currently I am altering a local copy of manager.cpp which doesn't seem nice)? As you say, were it sent to the child pane and propagated up, this would be easier, but I think the (floating) frame of the pane is essentially private to manager.cpp isn't it? (IE I don't think I can use the main frame class).

I think this is going to be a general requirement as people want want to do "Save Changes Before Closing" boxes etc.

What I'm currently doing is sending a wxCOMMAND event with wxID cancel to the pane window (by modifying manager.cpp). This is great, except (after doing its clearup), my app then does a Destroy() on the pane window (quite allowably), which seems to confuse wxAUI. I'll see if I can fix it & send you some code if you are interested.

Alex
abligh

Postby abligh on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Ben,

(with apologies for multiple messages).

How, in the normal course of events, does the pane get removed from the m_panes list of associated panes when the floating pane is closed by pressing the close button? Or indeed how does the floating wxWindow get destroyed? DetachPane never seems to get called. Am I missing something here? (probably)

Alex
abligh

Postby Ben on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:20 pm

Hi Alex,

There is a pane state called optionDestroyOnClose. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to implement it. I'll try to get that done before wxAUI 0.9.2 is released.

As it stands right now, when the close button is clicked, the wxEVT_AUI_PANEBUTTON is fired to the owner frame (not the pane window). If not intercepted, the wxFrameManager class will handle this event itself and cause the pane simply to no longer be managed. If it was floating, it will be reparented to the frame, and if not, no further action will be taken with the pane (i.e. upon further Updates(), it will be disregarded).

All the best,
Ben
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Re: Closing pane windows, lack of event passed to float wind

Postby Joel on Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:24 am

abligh wrote:When a wxDialog is closed using the close button, a wxCommandEvent is generated simulating the cancel button being pressed. However, if the wxDialog is converted to a wxPanel and floated using wxAUI, then closing it destroys the wxPanel without the event handler seeming to be called at all (certainly there is no wxCommandEvent).

Is this the correct behaviour? (I appreciate that sending a wxCommandEvent might not be correct for all docked windows). If so, what is the best way to ensure the wxCommandEvent does get sent at least for the wxPanels that I have docked?

Alex
http://www.kirix.com/en/community/forum ... c.php?t=48 I have contributed a patch for that event
Joel's Place
Project Administrator for the UPX GUI and developer for wxDev-C++

I want a legal copy of VS Professional! :P
Joel

Postby abligh on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:36 am

OK. So you are sending the event to the main frame window, rather than to the pane window? I don't care much which of these is done (so long as I get a pointer to the pane window if the former is the case).

At the moment, the only event is sent to the floating frame (as opposed to the main frame) which it seems to me is near impossible to intercept as it's window pointer is unknown outside manager.cpp (I could look for the pane's parent, but I'd have to keep track of whenever it was docked and undocked).

Alex
abligh

Postby Ben on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:13 am

At present, floating frame close events don't send any event at all. The only event that is implemented as of wxAUI 0.9.1 is the wxEVT_AUI_PANEBUTTON event. This event is just there as a pattern for all the major upcoming events. They all need to be filled out yet.

This events portion of wxAUI is still quite unfinished-- I'll try to find some time to finish it soon.
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Return to wxAUI Questions, Thoughts & Feedback