Kirix Support Forums

Problem connecting to Oracle

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

Problem connecting to Oracle

Postby woodb on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:52 am

I'm unable to connect to our Oracle database. I get the error:

There was an error connecting to the specified database. The driver component 'xdoracle' could either not be initialized or is missing.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not familiar with Oracle. I got the connection information from our admin. He wasn't sure what was meant by database. He said Oracle didn't use that term. He gave me the "SID" instead. FYI - I got this same error when supplying completely bogus information for the server, user or password.

I was able to connect to mysql on a server I run, but I'm really needing to connect to Oracle.

Thanks,
Brian
woodb

Re: Problem connecting to Oracle

Postby Aaron on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 am

The "xdoracle" driver utilizes the Oracle Client libraries to connect to Oracle, and these libraries must be installed on your computer for Kirix Strata to connect to Oracle.

Check with your system administrator to see if they have a standard Oracle client setup they install, and have them install this on your computer. You can also find out more here: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/o ... index.html
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Postby cwicker on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 am

Hi Guys,

I'm getting the same error as in this post. As far as I can tell I have all the Oracle Instant client stuff I need (but not sure). Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can get this connection to work it will help me greatly for an immediate need I have to get som data out of the db.
cwicker

Postby Ken on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:32 pm

Quick note for posterity:

This support discussion was taken offline and, after looking at the Path system environment variable, it was discovered there was a character of white space in front of the path for the Oracle Instant Client. After removing the space, Strata connected to Oracle as expected.

Usually, the Oracle installation would just take care of this, but it appears, in this case, the path was manually edited at one point.
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Return to Strata Help & Feedback