Kirix Support Forums

Cannot Create New Project (Linux)

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

Cannot Create New Project (Linux)

Postby warrenweiss on Sat May 17, 2008 2:59 am

As "root", I installed Kirix Strata on a PCLinuxOS machine (glibc2.4-7) to the default location (/opt/kstrata) and am getting the following error when I start it and attempt to create a new project:

The specified folder could not be created. Please check to make sure the specified path is valid.

I've attempted to create the directories in advance (with and without spaces) with the same results.
warrenweiss

Re: Cannot Create New Project (Linux)

Postby Dave on Sat May 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Hello,

Two questions:

1) Was Kirix Strata able to install the default project (if it was, you should be able to see some example tables/scripts/queries in the Project Panel)?

2) Could you check to see if there is a "Kirix Strata Projects" folder in your home directory?

By default, Kirix Strata will try to install a default project at "~/Kirix Strata Projects/Default Project". If that folder doesn't exist, it would appear that Strata is having problems creating projects altogether on PCLinuxOS.

All the best,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby warrenweiss on Sat May 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Dave wrote:

1) Was Kirix Strata able to install the default project (if it was, you should be able to see some example tables/scripts/queries in the Project Panel)?

No, it doesn't look like it. If it's supposed to create menu items, it did not do that, either. I manually created a menu item pointing to /opt/bin/kstrata

2) Could you check to see if there is a "Kirix Strata Projects" folder in your home directory?

There isn't one.

I performed two installations; the first as "root" for "all users" and the second as a non-privileged user for "this account only." Neither one created a default project and/or folder. During both installations, however, the installer hung for a while before I was able to click "finish" to close it. I can't find anything kirix-specific in the system logs.
warrenweiss

Postby Dave on Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 am

We are working to resolve this issue. We hope to release an update to Strata in the coming weeks which will include this fix. In the interim, here's a quick fix that should work for you:

I've attached the default project that is created by Strata as a tar.gz file.

1) Uncompress "default_project.tar.gz" to "~/Kirix Strata Projects/Default Project" or whatever path you would like to use to store the project files.

2) Open Strata and go to Tools > Projects... and select the "Add an existing project to the project manager list" radio button and type in the path you used in step 1.

At this point, you should see the default project in the project manager list and should be able to open it by clicking the "Open Project" button. You should see a default project with a few sample items in the Project Panel (a couple of example tables and scripts, a query and a report).

Since this bug seems to affect all project creation, if you'd like to have more than one project in Kirix Strata, you can follow these steps to manually create as many projects as you would like.

All the best,
Dave.
Attachments
default_project.tar.gz
(63.58 KiB) Downloaded 836 times
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Return to Strata Help & Feedback