Kirix Support Forums

setting field names to first row data clears data in columns

Please let us know if you are encountering problems with the beta or have ideas for how it can be improved. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can try to repeat the problem. Thanks!

setting field names to first row data clears data in columns

Postby sprezzaturon on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:41 am

I was trying out Beta 9 on the "Bureau of Economic Analysis" site by going to:
http://www.bea.gov/regional/spi/default ... le=summary

I clicked on [download] button in their 'step 2' section to get 'personal income for 2003-2007'. Kirix opened up the data quickly and easily. Since the first row contained header titles, I selected 'view' 'source' in the menu and checked "first row contains field names". When I selected 'view' 'table', all the data for the column years 2003 through 2007 had been replaced by those column year names. If I went back and unchecked "first row contains field names", then all the data returns in those year columns. Oddly, the first three columns of data were never affected in this fashion.

Is this a bug or is it my system?

Thanks,
Ron
sprezzaturon

Re: setting field names to first row data clears data in columns

Postby Ken on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi there,

This is a bug. We've encountered this strange behavior before a couple times; I expect it will be fixed soon.

The (somewhat annoying) workaround is as follows:

1. Open CSV file.
2. File > Save to your project
3. Once file is saved (which means it is now local), you can right-click on the first row header and select "Delete Record(s)"
4. You will also want to do this with the bottom couple rows, as BEA has added extra meta-data to these files.

The problem with this (outside of just being able to use the file straight away), is that you lose your header names. You can go to the Structure/Design view and enter the field names manually if you wish.

Hope that tides you over. We expect to get another beta out next week, so hopefully we can tighten down these kinds of data-from-the-web glitches.

I also found it interesting that one couldn't right-click Import Table from those BEA HTML tables. Our developers took a look at that and this issue should also be fixed for the next beta.

Thanks for the feedback!
ken
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby sprezzaturon on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:56 am

Hello Ken,

RC1 of Kirix imports this data table correctly now including headers! Great job!

Thanks,
Ron
sprezzaturon

Postby Ken on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:07 am

Hi Ron,

I'm glad to hear it. If you run into this situation again, here's the workaround (When Strata encounters a field name with a number as the first character, it sometimes runs into problems):

1. Toggle to the Source view of the table.
2. Select "First row as header row"
3. The Field names ("2003", "2004" etc) will appear.
4. Click on the the field name "2003" and you'll get a cursor/edit prompt. Change the name of the field to "_2003". By putting in the underscore, Strata will parse the field name correctly.
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Return to Bug Reports & Suggestions