Kirix Support Forums

64 bit debian

Please post any help questions, requests or other feedback here.

64 bit debian

Postby Peter on Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:58 pm

Any chance of doing a version for this? It would be an awful lot easier to exercise it if I could do it on my main machine. I am almost there, its just the atk and gail libs that I cannot seem to get working. Or any chance of some very specific instructions on what to do to make them work?
Peter

Re: 64 bit debian

Postby Ken on Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:13 pm

Peter,

We haven't really tested Strata on 64-bit at this point, but we can look into it (hopefully we can get you a bit more resolution when folks are in on Monday when our Linux guys are available). In the meantime, the following may be helpful from a helpful person named Alexis who got the previous version of Strata running on 64-bit (I dug this out from our older support emails). I don't know what flavor of Linux he was using:

Hello,
I finally solved the issue. I am happy to tell you that since kstrata is built using the very compatible wxwidget library, there was no reason for this application not to run perfectly under a 64 bit environment. What I did was run the installer with linux32 and the full path to the setup: #linux32/root/kstrata_install/setup

It installed perfectly to /opt/kstrata/ To run it I just typed with no 32 bit emulation: #/opt/kstrata/bin/kstrata and it works! What is best is that it has no problem in using the 64 bit oracle client / database which I have installed and that it is using the wx/GTK2 64 bit libraries in my system.

Hope this provides a bit of help; let us know either way. Thanks.
Ken Kaczmarek
Kirix Support Team
Ken
Kirix Support Team

Postby Peter on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi guys,

linux32 /home/peter/Desktop/strata_setup/setup
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libgail.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libatk-bridge.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

is what I get. I installed 32 bit gail and atk using the procedure from Debian's admin pages:

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/534

using apt-file and dpkg.

But maybe there is something else I need to do to get gail and atk to be seen, or to install properly? Or maybe the app is not pointing to the 32bit versions? As far as I recall, I didn't have to install gail and atk separately on my 32 bit machine.

thanks in advance for help.
Peter

Postby Ben on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:18 am

Hi,

Can you check if the 32-bit versions are in your ldconfig path? That might be the cause of the problem. Also, you might want to try compiling a small 32-bit hello world gtk application to make sure that the gtk suite of libraries is working well under 32-bit mode.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby jholman on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:55 pm

I've been using it on Etch 64-bit. You need to set your GTK lib path. I use the following tiny bash script to launch Kirix, try switching the ./kstrata for the installer bin.

#!/bin/sh
export GTK_PATH=/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0
export PANGO_RC_FILE=/etc/pango32/pangorc
linux32 ./kstrata $@

-Josh
jholman

Postby Peter on Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:09 am

Josh

I ran the script. It could not find pangorc, but it did do the install into /home. I then tried to run kstrata from a terminal, and got the error

$ ./kstrata
./kstrata: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I also tried making a pangorc file in accordance with suggestions on the net, and putting it into /etc/pango32. This now produces a lot of errors in trying to run the installer. If you want to know the detail I'll post.

I can't find libcurl.so.3 to install from synaptic or apt-get

I don't want to take up a lot of your time with what are probably fairly basic difficulties. Maybe it is best to just do what I can from the laptop until you guys come out with a release which is 64bit ready.
Peter

Postby stevermeeks on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:29 am

What is up! Lovin this idea and what you guys are building. I wanted to pass on my 64 bit success. I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) on a AMD 64-bit desktop HP Paviliion a1129n. Thanks to the previous posts i was able to run the installer with:
Code: Select all
root@desktop:/usr/bin# linux32 /root/strata_setup/setup
I login as a superuser by default so I dont have to go through all the hassle of sudo, just fyi. You may have to use sudo that if your not running as an administrator or superuser. I don't know for sure. The linux32 executable lives in /usr/bin as you can tell. It installed perfectly in /opt/kstrata. I will look forward to playing around with this great application. Thanks again.
stevermeeks

Postby Aaron on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Steve,

Thanks for sharing your success! The linux version is still rough around the edges, so if you run into trouble, please let us know.

Best,
Aaron
Aaron Williams
Kirix Support Team
Aaron
Kirix Support Team

Return to Strata Help & Feedback