Kirix Support Forums

webconnect with gecko 1.9.2 - 9.0 support

Please post any wxWebConnect patches or modifications you've created here. Thanks!

webconnect with gecko 1.9.2 - 9.0 support

Postby sergeyk on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:54 am

Hello,

I have deeply modified webconnect version. It has cmake based build system, it depends of gecko sdk and supports gecko versions 1.9.0 - 9.0 (but maybe not all features are working well). It was used for some internal project, but now I can publish it. For internal using I called it webconnect2, because it has a lot of differences. I would like to publish it(maybe for further development).

Modified webconnect:
http://files.libdis.com/webconnect.tar.bz2
sergeyk

Re: webconnect with gecko 1.9.2 - 9.0 support

Postby Ben on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 am

Thanks for your efforts!

I think we accidentally duplicated efforts. We also added support for the latest Xulrunner engines, which we'll release soon. There are also a lot of small bug fixes and other improvements which you'll see as well.
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby sergeyk on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:32 am

Good news!

Did you depend of gecko sdk or it works as before with including all needed xpcom descriptions inside webconnect(nsall.idl)?
sergeyk

Postby jonmmorgan on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:02 am

Hi Sergey,

I too wait for Kirix to release the next version of wxWebConnect having tried myself to add support for later versions but run into too many difficulties. However, I'm always interested in the changes made by other people. Did you make any changes other than those needed to make later versions of XULRunner work? If so, I'd like to look at them at some point, but it can be difficult to track such changes without a version history. I understand it was an internal project, but if it was kept in version control and there is any chance of getting a copy of the complete source with version control that might be helpful.

In my opinion, the fact that wxWebConnect does not rely on the Mozilla SDK is both one of its greatest strengths and one of its greatest weaknesses. Does your latest comment suggest that you did change it to use the SDK?
jonmmorgan

Postby sergeyk on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:55 am

jonmmorgan wrote:Hi Sergey,

I too wait for Kirix to release the next version of wxWebConnect having tried myself to add support for later versions but run into too many difficulties. However, I'm always interested in the changes made by other people. Did you make any changes other than those needed to make later versions of XULRunner work? If so, I'd like to look at them at some point, but it can be difficult to track such changes without a version history. I understand it was an internal project, but if it was kept in version control and there is any chance of getting a copy of the complete source with version control that might be helpful.

In my opinion, the fact that wxWebConnect does not rely on the Mozilla SDK is both one of its greatest strengths and one of its greatest weaknesses. Does your latest comment suggest that you did change it to use the SDK?

Hi,
yes, I added dependency of Mozilla SDK. I tried to add support for new versions without depending on the Mozilla SDK, but it seemed too complicated. But it needs only for building, but after for running application you only need gecko runtime(of course defined version). So, the main changes are gecko SDK dependency and switching from ns_smartptr to nsCOMPtr (mozilla pointers).

About history, i will review it and I think will post it here or maybe on github. If you are interested in some in some specific changes, you can ask about.
sergeyk

Postby Ben on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:14 am

With ours, we opted to not add this dependency. It works straight out of the box with the Xulrunner 1.9 binaries. No additional glue necessary. The reason for this is we wanted to make it as ridiculously simple for developers to get up and running.
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Return to wxWebConnect Patches & Modifications