Kirix Support Forums

wxWindow instead of wxFrame

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxAUI feedback here.

wxWindow instead of wxFrame

Postby PgmHelmi on Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:25 pm

Hallo!

First I like to congratulate you to your work. The wxAUI framework is great!

Here is a question from me, because I had a use case for it:

I would like to ask you, if you have thought about making working your framemanager with wxWindow objects instead of wxFrame objects to enable your framework with other windows like wxPanel too? Are there any big hurdles, which can prevent you from doing this or would this be an abuse of a framemanager at all?

Kind regards!

PgmHelmi
PgmHelmi

Postby PgmHelmi on Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:04 pm

Hello!

Was my question to silly to answer it or is something unclear? The question was ment serious. But I will not bother you anymore if you will not answer it this time again.

Kind regards

PgmHelmi
PgmHelmi

Postby Joel on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:32 pm

I think it only makes sense that only wxFrames have managers. The frame is the only unit (along with the Dialog) that can have more controls within in, there is no reason to have it for a panel since you can't have local toolbars and whatnot, and it is just ridiculous to only have it dock in a panel, IMHO.
Joel's Place
Project Administrator for the UPX GUI and developer for wxDev-C++

I want a legal copy of VS Professional! :P
Joel

Postby Ben on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:21 am

Hello PgmHelmi,

We have implemented your feature request. We needed it for some of our own code as well. You can find the new code in wxWidgets CVS.

Kind Regards,
Ben
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby tierra on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:09 pm

bwilliams wrote:We have implemented your feature request. We needed it for some of our own code as well. You can find the new code in wxWidgets CVS.

Is there any chance this change can be backported to 0.9.2 for those of us building against wxWidgets 2.6.x? Was there a lot of changes that needed to be made to make this work besides changing the API to pass in a wxWindow pointer?

I'd be happy with a simple patch release. ;)
tierra

Postby Ben on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:59 pm

tierra wrote:
bwilliams wrote:We have implemented your feature request. We needed it for some of our own code as well. You can find the new code in wxWidgets CVS.

Is there any chance this change can be backported to 0.9.2 for those of us building against wxWidgets 2.6.x? Was there a lot of changes that needed to be made to make this work besides changing the API to pass in a wxWindow pointer?

Simply edit manager.cpp and change SetFrame() and GetFrame()'s parameter/return value to wxWindow*. Do the same in manager.h. Then, in manager.h, change the type of m_frame to wxWindow*.

It's really easy.

Hope this helps,
Ben
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby tierra on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:39 am

bwilliams wrote:Simply edit manager.cpp and change SetFrame() and GetFrame()'s parameter/return value to wxWindow*. Do the same in manager.h. Then, in manager.h, change the type of m_frame to wxWindow*.

Thanks, seems to be working.
tierra

Postby epage on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:18 pm

tierra wrote:

With integration into wx CVS, does this mean that independent releases won't be made anymore against 2.6.x?
epage

Postby Ben on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:33 am

With integration into wx CVS, does this mean that independent releases won't be made anymore against 2.6.x?

We haven't made that decision yet. A backport is certainly feasible.

Kind Regards,
Ben
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby PgmHelmi on Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:31 pm

bwilliams wrote:Hello PgmHelmi,

We have implemented your feature request. We needed it for some of our own code as well. You can find the new code in wxWidgets CVS.

Kind Regards,
Ben

Hallo Ben!

Great to read this! I have done this before locally and although not perfect it worked for me. But I was afraid of having troubles always to update this, when wxAUI is changing. Now as it is in your code I will have no troubles. I am looking forward to use it in wxWidgets 2.7 or 2.8, whatever I will use first.

Many thanks for your work!

PgmHelmi
PgmHelmi

Return to wxAUI Questions, Thoughts & Feedback