Kirix Support Forums

Obvious problems and screenshots (KDE, Gnome, 98, XP, Vista)

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxAUI feedback here.

Obvious problems and screenshots (KDE, Gnome, 98, XP, Vista)

Postby joric on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:13 pm

I've decided to post several screenshots to show how it's really looks like.
It is wxWidgets-2.8.7, statically linked.
There are KDE, Gnome, Vista (no aero, can't enable it under vmware), Windows 98 and XP.
It is really portable and really easy to compile, but it looks a bit ugly.

Obvious problems:

1) Sizing has no limitations. I.e. in vs2005 (Whidbey) you can't move splitter
out of the window area, like you can in wxAui. Should be fixed. It's on any platform.

2) Venetian Blinds (ugly jalousie feature). I'm sure it should be replaced to rectangle
hint if there is no transparency support. Also, it seems there's no appropriate brush handle
in windows 98 so it draws it white. And this "glossy theme" for tabs... come on, who likes it? The "simple" one looks much better.

3) Toolbar color problems (win98, vista). Should be fixed (I beg you, at least for Vista).
And the toolbars... a way too rough. I mean even paint.exe looks better.

4) Toolbar glitches. "Sample vertical toolbar" is double size in windows,
but regular size in KDE and Gnome. I don't know the real case, but it's suspicious.

Images are linked to picasa, where you can view it in original size (up to 1280x1024, press magnifying glass button there).

KDE, Venetian Blinds

Gnome, Venetian Blinds

Windows XP, splitter's gone for a walk

Windows 98 - no brush, no colors

Windows Vista, toolbar problems
joric

Re: Obvious problems and screenshots (KDE, Gnome, 98, XP, Vista)

Postby Ben on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi, thanks for this comprehensive report

1) Agreed.

2) I also dislike the venetian blinds. That's why you can disable them with a flag. I'd like to remove the feature altogether someday-- I was asked to please allow it to stay.

3) The toolbar color mismatch is probably a problem with wxToolBar. We ended up ditching wxToolBar and writing our own control. Hopefully I'll have the time to release this before another year goes by! :?

4) Again, related to the wxToolBar problems. I've tried to mitigate as many problems as possible, and it works reasonably well with wxToolBar right now, but in the end we were forced to write our own toolbar control

Thanks again,

All the best,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Re: Obvious problems and screenshots (KDE, Gnome, 98, XP, Vista)

Postby kkez on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 am

1) Sizing has no limitations. I.e. in vs2005 (Whidbey) you can't move splitter
out of the window area, like you can in wxAui. Should be fixed. It's on any platform.

This bug, along with other bugs, has already been fixed by Rick on this topic. Just apply the changes to your wxwidgets source.
kkez

Return to wxAUI Questions, Thoughts & Feedback