Kirix Support Forums

wxAUI and tabbed MDI

Please post all general questions, comments, bug reports, and any other wxAUI feedback here.

wxAUI and tabbed MDI

Postby hallerbachj on Sun May 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Hello,

at the moment I am trying to implement a tabbed MDI interface with wxAUI. There is a sample mentioned somewhere in the forum but the link http://www.kirix.com/res/aui/auitabs.zip is dead. Is there any chance to get an example how to implement this kind of interface?

I have tried to modify the "docvwmdi"-sample from the wxWidgets-samples by replacing the occurence of "wxMDIChildFrame" with "wxAuiMDIChildFrame" but what should I do with the wxDocMDI... classes?

Any help would be appreciated...

By the way, I'm using wxWidgets 2.8.7 with latest Code::Blocks, OS: Windows XP, Vista and Ubuntu 8.04.

TIA,

hallerbachj
hallerbachj

Re: wxAUI and tabbed MDI

Postby Dave on Mon May 12, 2008 4:27 pm

Hello,

I believe this file has been moved to a different location on our webserver after our recent website redesign. I'll speak with our webmaster to find out where it's located.

All the best,
Dave.
Dave Williams
Kirix Support Team
Dave
Kirix Support Team

Postby NinjaNL on Wed May 14, 2008 5:33 am

I am also interested in Tabbed MDI.

To see it in action, I edited the MDI sample from wxWidgets to use the wxAuiMDIclasses. (changed wxMDI... to wxAuiMDI...)

I also needed to change the line 279 subframe->Show(true); to subframe->DoShow(true);

The sample compiled correctly, however I noticed a couple of things with it.

1) the painting seems to get confused. When there are several notebooks visible the pages don't draw correctly (there seems to be echoes of the page visible)

2) the hints don't represent the final placement of the new notebook - it is possible to have a hint showing for more than half the available space, but the generated notebook is hidden behind the lower notebooks.

3) when moving from normal to maximized to restored the noitebooks are not being drawn correctly - sometimes the centre notebooks are not shown.

NinjaNL

Postby hallerbachj on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:58 am

Hello again,

I am still very interested in a tabbed style interface. Is there something planned for the next release (maybe together with wxwidgets 2.9)?

I try to rewrite some kind of SCADA-Application originally written in MFC with the use of wxWidgets. The main UI should contain 2 parts: A tree view for selecting reports, graphs and process control images and the second part should be a tabbed style MDI frame, in which the various documents will be displayed. This documents should be implemented as modules (dll's in windows and shared objects in linux).

This will be a bigger project and may take some time to complete, but I am very curious if the following features are planned in a foreseeable timespan:

- collapsible panes (would be a nice feature)
- tabbed style MDI-Framework

By the way, thanks for sharing the wxAUI with the community, this is one of the main reasons for choosing wxWidgets for the above mentioned application.

Best regards,

hallerbachj
hallerbachj

Postby Ben on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:26 am

Hello,

Tabbed MDI is already in wxWidgets 2.8. The next release of wxAUI is pending (we need about another week to get our website updated). It will include the wxAuiToolBar class, which streamlines toolbars and solves a lot of problems of look and feel as well as flicker.

You should be able to implement your application with tabs using the current version.

All the best,
Ben
Ben Williams
Kirix Support Team
Ben
Kirix Support Team

Postby jojosoto on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:45 pm

It's kind of funny how tabs can be such an innovative feature. You guys made the right call back in 08 when you decided to include this with the upgrade and re-design...just a little bump of the thread to say good work...
jojosoto

Return to wxAUI Questions, Thoughts & Feedback